Wednesday, January 12, 2011

I want candy!

Well, not really...I just cleared out most of my cupboard of the Christmas Candy the kids got...they have forgotten about it and I prefer not to remind them. But there was one thing left. Half a pack of candy canes...so here's what we did. First I found a willing participant!
And I set him to work. I put 3 candy canes in a baggie and gave him a rolling pin. I highly suggest doing this on a cutting board as if you do it on your kitchen table you might leave some marks...just saying!
Make sure your helper is armed with the best tools available...then get your helper mixing! Dry ingredients, then the wet...this is when a hand held mixer would come in handy...I asked Mr. CB for a little old-school hand turned mixer or a drink mixer for my muffin batter but it has yet to arrive so we used a whisk...Add you chocolate and well, your helper might pout when they don't get to eat the batter...
So, I highly suggest bribing them with other cookies that happen to be on hand...well, they were on hand! Divide your batter into 12 muffins and top with candy cane crumbs.
Bake!
Peppermint Chocolate Chunk Muffins

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup Redpath Granulated Sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp peppermint extract
3/4 cup yogurt (we used soy yogurt, you can also use sour cream)
1 cup chocolate chunks
6 candy canes or red and white peppermint candies, crushed

Preheat oven to 375F
Spray a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray

In a large bowl whisk together flour, powder and soda.

In a large glass measuring cup, mix together oil, yogurt, sugar, eggs and peppermint extract. (I always measure my wet ingredients directly into my glass measuring cup to cut down on dishes.)

Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until blended. Add chocolate.

Fill each muffin cup with approx 1/4 cup of batter (I use my measuring cup to help keep my muffins even). Top with candy crumbs.

Bake in preheated oven for 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a centre comes out clean. Cool.

*Adapted from 750 best muffin recipes by Camilla V. Saulsbury

I will be serving these with hot chocolate when the kids get home from school...I bet they are cold and wet after playing in the snow at school!

Enjoy!
Heather

No comments: