Saturday, August 21, 2010

Bleachin' T-Shirts!

So, I didn't quite share all of the photos that Stacy took at our Big Birthday Bash yet...in fact, I'm not even close!

Today I want to share with you the craft we did...all you need is;
  • Bright coloured t-shirts
  • Freezer paper (this isn't necessarily easy to find...I will be buying a roll from a local butcher soon!)
  • bleach
  • spray bottles
  • iron
  • cardboard
Start by choosing your design...we were having a Very Hungry Caterpillar Party so I obviously chose...
...Skulls and Crossbones for the boys?!?! (most of them are a little too old to be accepting of caterpillars!) And for the girls....
Don't you just love the colours of those t's. So, after you choose your image, cut it out of the freezer paper (I used my Cricut to do that part). Then you iron the paper onto the t-shirt shiny side down. I used a low no steam setting.
Look!!! It's a photo of me! Now, put the cardboard into the t-shirts before you start and double check that your image is secured...if you're like me they are coming undone and you need another quick iron.
Now here's the fun part! I put 1 part bleach to 3 parts water in the spray bottle and found it quite strong...make it 1 part bleach to about 5 parts of water and you will be good to go! (We do everything in the heat of the moment here...no practice runs!)
And spray...and try not to bleach your clothes! There is no need to saturate the t-shirt...just mist it and try to get some variation in the colour.
And then...watch the bleach dry. Cool eh?
You can take the image off once it starts to dry.
This is one of my favourite tees! I also love the photos! Try this at home and then share the photos on my Facebook Page!

*All photos in this post were taken by Stacy of Stacy's Creations Photography.

2 comments:

Twins Squared said...

Heather,
Thanks for visiting my blog. I came to check out your blog and I love this idea! You are super brave using bleach with all those kiddos! My girls have a birthday coming up but I don't know if I'm brave enough. :) The blog www.crapivemade.com just posted last week about a sharpie tie dye project and I think I might try that. You should go check it out!
Charity
P.S. I am signing up to follow you! :)

Heather said...

Hi Charity! Thanks for the comment! It wasn't so bad...I only had about 3 spray bottles going at a time. The kids loved it and almost all of them wore their shirts the next day! A friend of ours did the Sharpie tees! They are pretty cool! We have also done potato stamping http://heatherscreativebug.blogspot.com/2010/07/oh-canada-t-shirts.html which was a huge hit! Oh and freezer paper stencilling (which can be a bit more work for you).

There are so many great ideas out there!
Heather